Tuesday, January 13, 2015

One year ago...

All day I've been playing the game of "What Was I Doing One Year Ago" (as if that's a real game). Haha. But seriously I've spent the day teleporting myself to this day one year ago...I woke up at about 3 am panicked because I didn't think I was feeling as much movement. I called the on call Doc who told me to drink some juice and eat something and then count kicks. I did, but I wasn't satisfied so around 5 am, we headed to the hospital. They did a stress test and everythjng looked fine BUT they said to call the doctor and schedule an appointment that day if I was not feeling her move (remember I was already 9 days overdue!). 

I ended up seeing the doctor at noon. After another stress test, she recommended inducing me. She called and confirmed when labor and delivery would be ready for us...we were told to come back to check in in labor and delivery at 2 pm! 

I headed home to pack my bag, sign off at work, and meet Brady. I was so excited/nervous/just not really knowing what to expect. I was also PRAYING I wouldn't have to have a c-section. 

Brady started the stop watch on his phone when we walked into the hospital at about 2:15. 

By 4pm, I was admitted and they had started me on pitocin. I was having very mild contractions throughout the evening and all night long. We spent the time watching some basketball, watching a movie, and chit chatting. My mom showed up with food for her and Brady around 8.

I didn't sleep much all night long...just a few little cat naps. I was my nurse'sonly  patient so I spent a lot of the night chatting with her while Brady and my Mom slept. Haha.

I kept thinking things were feeling so easy and not painful at all. I was kind of thinking I was clearly cut out for this childbirth thing. 

I kept asking the nurse if she planned to check my progress. She said my doctor would when she arrived around 6am. I was getting ready for things to get going!! 

Around 6 am my doctor showed up. She checked me and I hadn't dilated any further than from when Id been checked the day before at noon!!!

I was devistated and scared. Was I ever going to dilate? Would I end up having a c section? Should I have said no to getting induced? 

My doctor thought that breaking my water would help get things going, so around 7 am she did. It was the weirdest sensation feeling the warm liquid like I was peeing my pants. That definitely helped things along, and I started having real contractions. Or as Brady said later "Shit got real." Those contractions were a pain like I'd never experienced. They were terrible, and I immediately informed my  nurse I wanted an epidural ASAP. She said I could have the narcotics in the mean time, which I gladly accepted. Seriously. 

They really didn't do much expect made me feel a little loopy and removed from my body. The epidural, on the other hand, was golden. After attending the birth class at the hospital and seeing a video of someone receiving an epidural, I was nervous. BUT, in actuality I never saw the needle, didn't feel a thing, and felt better almost immediately! (Although he did have to come back twice to give me more because I kept feeling pressure and some pain). After his 3rd visit, though, it was great. 

The reason I was feeling so much pressure and pain even with the epidural (although it was nothing compared to when I didn't have anythjng) was because I went from 2 cm to 10 cm in the span of about 45 mins during that same time period. Holy moly! 

Once I reached 10 cm, they said I should rest a bit and they'd notify my doctor. It was so funny/weird to see the labor/delivery room transform. Lights and contraptions galore were popping out of the walls, ceiling and floor. A little after 1 pm, my doctor showed up so I could start pushing.

We had Hailey and Andrea on FaceTime who had Kate on FaceTime (my doctor had never had folks on FaceTime let alone two levels) and Bridger within earshot (no video for him) just waiting waiting waiting for "Vanessa's" arrival.

I pushed for about 45 minutes. According to my doctor, I was very good at this. :) I remember at one point near the end she said she had the vacuum ready (Eliza's heart rate was dropping). It was that moment that made up my mind that I was pushing her out no matter what and there would be. No vacuum. I think it was two pushes later she was out. 

They immediately handed her to me and she cried and cried and cried her tiny little newborn cry. Those first moments are forever burned into my memory but at the same time it was such a whirlwind.I Remember   looking at her and it was like I knew she'd look exactly the way she looked but at the same time it was amazing that she looked the way she looked. I immediately tried to nurse her, and she seemed to have a good latch. 

She was born at 2:18 pm, almost 24 hrs to the minute from when we'd walked into the hospital the day before and Brady had started his watch. 

After a bit they took her (stayed in our room) to weigh her, measure her, clean her up and give her the vitamin K stuff in her eyes.  

We spent the rest of the afternoon holding her and being completely mesmerized by our new little Pearl. 

That evening they moved us into a post delivery room (much smaller). Brady, Eliza and I slept there together. 

It is hard to believe it was already a year ago. Every second is still so vivid in my memory. It seems like it was yesterday. It was truly one of the best days of my life, one I will cherish forever. 



1 comment:

  1. This is Ange (on Mom's puter)...that was such a good day! We were so excited, but it killed me that I couldn't be there in person. She is so precious. :)

    ReplyDelete